Behind the Name: Founded in 1902, Carnegie proved to be one of the richest clay deposits in California and produced upwards of 100,000 bricks every day. After a flood destroyed the buildings and roads in 1911, Carnegie was abandoned.
Behind the Name: Founded in 1867 and served as a stage stop along the Wells Fargo line. After mining a small lot of gold found in the hills, the town was abandoned in 1906.
Behind the Name: Founded in 1901 and was the most important mining village of the Fairplay Mining District. The last resident left in 1959.